Sunday, November 23, 2014

A Farewell


Madame A's stay in Singapore has come to an end. I hope she and her husband left with fond memories, since she's been a self-professed admirer of Singapore all her life. I'm going to miss those IRL chats with her, a mentor whom I tremendously respect. Her formidable wit, dry humor and frank statements.

Her evenings were filled with farewell engagements all the way. On her way home, she would stop for a few days in the city where we first met- Bangkok. We still have strong links to Bangkok and a thousand reasons to visit. As much as I would love to, I won't be able to join her. Between our crazy schedules, we found an afternoon to meet and have a long conversation. That was the last face-to-face heartfelt chat for a long while. Emails and Skype aren't the same.

Lunch at Madame's home was ideal. She had help in the kitchen and wouldn't have to rush about and be frazzled when there were already a million things demanding her attention, in the midst of supervising packers and movers. I turned up with only a cannister of excellent Darjeeling second flush from my favorite estate of Turzum, and dark chocolates. She would need no farewell gifts except for sincere thoughts and company. We share similar food preferences. She doesn't even bother asking what I'd like to have for lunch because whatever trotted out on the table would be fine. No matter how, I would obediently eat it.

It's hard to tell when would be the next time we meet. It might be another 10 years; who knows in which city. Everything's possible as long as we're still alive, sound of mind and somewhat healthy. Till then. Keep well, dear Madame.  

No comments: