Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Thuyền thúng

Saw those round boats parked on My Khe beach. Saw them bobbing merrily in the sea too, helmed by experienced fishermen who weren't heading out too far. Woven bamboo basket boats. Thuyền thúng. They're just tubs and look so fragile! I was determined to hop into one and try my luck to see how far I could bob without capsizing. One basket boat holds two to three persons. Luckily our hotel owns a few and its stretch of water didn't seem so choppy. The hotel staff would usually paddle you out for like five minutes along the shoreline, but if you're like me, crazy woman, then feel free to ask them to let you go on your own.

Pulled on a lifejacket and climbed into the boat. Grabbed the oar and started to paddle out. The staff gingerly asked, "Are you sure you Okay?" I was certain it would be manageable. The balancing might be off though. But the sea seemed calm enough that morning. The staff who were familiar with the currents and tides said that the morning was fine in this sunshine and clear skies, but not the afternoon when the rainclouds and tide roll in. No danger of being adrift in the Bay and out to South China Sea.

It was SO FUN. Hahahaha. I was terrible at it, but I didn't topple over. The trick is not to stand up in the middle. Stick to a corner of a round tub. Hurhurhurhur. Yes, that's possible. *cackles* For a namby-pamby city girl, that's quite achievement. Was expecting it to turn round and round, but it kinda kept its direction quite easily. Although, the tub isn't water-proof. UGH. Didn't realize that! Had to bail water out! Duhhh. Had to do it quickly and keep an eye on where the currents were taking me in that few minutes of non-paddling.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Whee, so fun! Haha I can almost visualise you bobbing on the water in this gleefully.

bmuse

imp said...

Hahha! Yeah, like that.