Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Keeping The Muscles Oiled

Gorgeous daily views from the balcony.

At home, stretches are done daily; three times a week, I turn up at classes to use the machines. On vacation, I like doing stretches first thing in the morning. It isn't a chore for me. It's a happy thing to condition the muscles. Don't want to lose all the strength and flexibility acquired through the decades, starting from gymnastics at four years old. Sure, I can't do every routine now. But as I age, I want to retain the incredible core strength built and keep as much flexibility as possible.

I didn't attempt parkour at the resort. The waves crashing among the rocks kinda warned me not to try it. Cartwheeling and back-flipping across an empty beach on the sand early morning was ridiculously fun. Was in stitches after that. Breathless laughter. Heh. Been doing stretches on the balcony of the hotel room. It was spacious enough. Our little villa was right at the very edge of the property facing out to the sea. It was really awesome to hear the waves rhythmically crash.

One morning we got up at 6am and went to the gym. I'm not a gym-rat like the man. But I tagged along to check it out. Didn't even know the man sneaked a few photos before he got bored and went off to do his weights. The one thing I don't know what to do with is that exercise ball. I rarely use it. Sure, it stretches the muscles in another way but it also hinders movement. Back bends, flips and rolls, and the ball just kept bouncing ever so slightly, throwing me off. Forgot about the walking shoes. It's a pair used for serious walking, not running and definitely not for other purposes. First time using them in a gym. Those soles were so thick and affected my balance! Too used to bare feet or thin Vibrams. Oof.

No comments: